In today’s dynamic and complex cloud environments, downtime costs reach six figures per hour. Traditional Application Performance Monitoring (APM) tools are too slow and lack the depth needed to address the issues identified. Also, they often require months of training for super users.
IBM Instana APM Observability revolutionizes APM by making observability accessible to everyone in DevOps, SRE, platform engineering, ITOps, and development. It provides continuous high-fidelity data at 1-second intervals and comprehensive end-to-end traces, offering context for logical and physical dependencies across mobile, web, applications, and infrastructure.
What is APM (Application Performance Monitoring)?
APM involves tracking key software application performance metrics using telemetry data and monitoring software. APM ensures system availability, optimizes service performance, reduces response times, and enhances user satisfaction.
Traditionally, APM has been applied to mobile apps, websites, and business applications. However, with today’s digital landscape, monitoring has broadened its scope to include services, processes, hosts, logs, networks, and end-users, including customers and employees, interacting with these applications.
Why Choose IBM Instana APM?
IBM Instana offers a single platform that can be used across an entire organization. A few compelling reasons to choose IBM Instana include:
- Identify and resolve performance issues: Instana automatically maps your cloud deployments, which provides complete visibility. Real-time alerts and dependency maps allow quick response and prevent downtime or slowdowns.
- AI-Powered Root Cause Analysis: Leveraging AI-driven analytics, Instana quickly identifies performance issues’ root causes. Whether the incident is caused by a problem with the infrastructure, orchestrator, container run-time, cloud platform, or code, it helps the team directly identify the root cause of the issue.
- Accelerate Cloud Monitoring with Automation: Instana automatically discovers cloud infrastructure, including container and microservices tracking. It integrates seamlessly with DevOps tools like Jenkins, Ansible, and Kubernetes, which automates monitoring workflows.
- Zero-Human Intervention: With over 150 pre-configured monitoring sensors for various infrastructures (bare metal, virtual hosts, private/public cloud, PaaS, IaaS, serverless), Instana offers full observability without manual setup or configuration.
Core Features of IBM Instana APM
The following features set the bar for IBM Instana APM:
- Full-stack observability: Using a single, lightweight agent per host, Instana discovers and continuously monitors all components, including applications, microservices, Kubernetes, databases, APIs, serverless functions, and containers in real-time, without sampling. Dashboards and visualizations provide context for resource interactions, offering actionable insights for immediate action.
- Efficient Remediation: Smart alerts based on thresholds, automatic event detection and correlation, and identifying likely root causes for incidents result in the fastest Mean Time to Resolution (MTTR).
- Enhanced User Experience: Instana’s monitoring extends to mobile apps and websites, providing a unified data source for understanding user behavior and promptly addressing front-end issues. This streamlined approach optimizes troubleshooting efficiency.
- Extensive Technology Support: Instana integrates with monitoring tools like log management and network monitoring solutions like IBM Turbonomic. It offers a holistic view of application performance across the entire IT infrastructure without plugins or application restarts.
Use Cases: Where IBM Instana APM Excels
A few scenarios where IBM Instana APM can be used beneficially include:
- Cloud migration: IBM Instana Observability helps you move to the cloud quickly and confidently while reducing the disruptions and uncertainties associated with cloud migrations.
- Cloud monitoring: Helps monitor the health and performance of your hybrid cloud ecosystem to maximize your cloud migration investment.
- Open Telemetry: IBM Instana Observability effortlessly integrates with Open Telemetry to ensure every service is instrumented appropriately, which allows complete real-time observability. Instana’s robust dependency mapping, upstream/downstream service correlation, and comprehensive full-stack visibility provide the most comprehensive value-added capabilities within the Open Telemetry framework.
- Shift-left testing: Using shift-left testing with Instana offers real-time visibility into the performance and behavior of the application or system under test, enabling software teams to detect and address issues early in the development process.
- Digital experience: Monitor and optimize user experiences across various endpoints using cloud-native digital experience monitoring tools.
- Single pane of glass: Instana provides a comprehensive and centralized view of the health and performance of your entire IT ecosystem in a single dashboard. This enables the IT team to correlate metrics, logs, and traces in real time easily.
Real-world Personas and Use Cases
There are four personas for IBM Instana: Site Reliability Engineer (SRE), DevOps, IT admin, and developer. Each persona completes their tasks more quickly and efficiently with Instana.
- Site Reliability Engineer: Instana helps an SRE with the following tasks:
- Enhances platform observability and monitors all infrastructures in one user interface.
- Reply to and recover from several outages or slowdowns.
- Prevent high-impact cases from happening again.
- Analyze incidents and alerts, monitor the business impact, and respond quickly.
- Identify and conduct root cause analysis.
2. DevOps: Instana helps DevOps in the following aspects:
- Create synthetic tests for active application monitoring.
- Build personalized dashboards and provide insights into application and infrastructure performance.
- Integrate monitoring for infrastructure and applications.
- Establish alert channels to notify about SLA-affecting issues.
- Identify and monitor all components within an application or service.
3. IT admin: An IT admin can efficiently perform the following tasks using Instana:
- Gain insight into components’ physical and logical dependencies for setup and configuration.
- Create and manage Service Level Objectives (SLOs) for service quality analysis.
- Monitor resource usage for capacity optimization.
- Perform infrastructure entity comparisons to identify infrastructure problems promptly.
- Identify the underlying causes of issues to expedite resolutions.
4. Developer: Instana offers developers help in several areas, including:
- Identify performance bottlenecks and hotspots within the code.
- Visualize application performance to identify and optimize critical pathways.
- Gain a comprehensive view of all components within an application or service for creation, development to create, build, and support.
- Assess release impact to manage potential issues proactively.
- Correlate performance data from various sources to pinpoint the root cause of performance problems.
With its ability to deliver comprehensive insights, automate monitoring processes, and facilitate quick issue resolution, IBM Instana APM is an asset for organizations looking to enhance application performance and deliver exceptional user experiences.